Thursday, June 25, 2009

An update...

DSC_0325e


Okay, so I'm sorry for the lack of warning about yesterday's photo...I was just too tempted by my ability to exploit Wordless Wednesday. To make up for it, here's a picture of Caroline. She sometimes balks at getting her picture taken. Like I have a camera in her face every day or something. The other day, however, I was trying to get a picture of something in my kitchen, and she repeatedly insisited I take her photo. I quick snapped a shot to quiet her down, not expecting it to turn out. And I was pleasantly surprised. I love pictures taken with natural light. And I love pictures of this sweet face.


So here's the scoop. My husband, at the ripe old age of 40-something, had his tonsils and adenoids removed yesterday. And what you hear is true. It is tougher on us older folks. Our daughter, Abby, had hers out last fall...did I even blog about that?? She's always been our chatty girl, and we all joked about how it was going to be quiet around the house for a few days. Yeah, well, the joke was on us. She came out of the recovery room yacking away. She actually felt okay for the first couple of days and then hit the wall and felt crummy for about another two weeks. It took her a month before she was her old self.


Which might lend itseslf to why I was a little hesitant for Jon to have this surgery. That and all the times I have nursed my husband's maladies. I'll just let you all read between those lines. I'm sure those of you with husbands just might be able to relate. Jon did not come out of surgery talking. He was in quite a bit of pain, and morphine didn't even kick it all the way. Finally, two doses of morphine and some Tylenol with codeine somewhat eased the look of pain on his face. Thankfully, he had no nausea and downed Sprite and popsicle slushies and soup and jello before he was discharged a few hours later. And then, as is apparently our family tonsil tradition, he requested a Happy Meal from McDonald's on the way home! The days of liquid diets following tonsillectomies are over, my friends. They encourage you to return to a normal diet, accompanied by lots of fluids, as soon as you like.


Overall, his pain and discomfort have been manageable. He's home for the next ten days, and he's a little out of sorts. Because he's an adult, he's on a steroid pack for swelling , and I think that's bringing on some restlessness. I have found him doing laundry (EEGHADS!), and dishes and other things he probably shouldn't be doing, and I've been met with varying degrees of irritability in convincing him to stop and rest. I did have one run-in with him over the medicine spoon I used to give him his prescribed liquid medicine. He was very disgruntled over the fact that it was a baby spoon. And I'll just leave it at that.


By the way, it was a good thing he got those suckers out. The doctor said there were at least 20 abscesses on his tonsils. They had done their job, and they were ready for retirement! Jon really wanted a picture of them before they whisked them away, and I just couldn't resist sharing!


And, just so you know, I have come a long way, baby, in not cringing when Jon does laundry. He mostly does his own laundry and towels and underwear and the like. He does not necessarily cater to my detailed instructions on how things are to be washed and sorted. I'm too controlling, you might say? Yeah, well, tell that to my dry-clean only suit he shrunk into Barbie's size when we were first married. And know that the clothing he brought home from Desert Storm all those years ago didn't look the same as when it left. Color-Catchers would have done him a world of good. I'm just sayin'...

5 comments:

Kristi said...

Sorting laundry? What's that? To stay on top of things around here I've adopted the "if it's in the laundry basket it's going in..." Of course it helps that all our stuff has been washed a gazillion times and has no color to bleed!
Glad Jon is doing well. I'm praying he heals nicely!

C.C. said...

Tell Jon we hope he feels better soon!

Our Journey said...

That's so funny. Mike is only allowed to do "certain" things - after shrinking a silk shirt and drying an expensive sweater he sticks to his clothes & always asks before putting anything of mine in!! Poor Jon -- they've talked about taking mine out, but I'm afraid - I've heard it's really bad the older you are!! I'd sworn I'm not going to do it.. hope I can stick to that?.. Hope he feels better soon.

Donna said...

Yowch. Hope Jon feels better soon!
Maybe next time he gets a little hopped up on those steroids you should point him toward cleaning a garage or basement or something??? :)

Tricia said...

Color-Catchers...I LOVE THOSE!! And unlike Kristi, I do sort the laundry, we sort it when we take it off and it goes in 3 separate baskets. I'm with ya on the control thing! Hope Jon is continuing to do well.